Wednesday, April 13, 2011

9 Weeks!


Week 9 of Pregnancy 
Good-bye embryo, hello fetus. Your baby is now about one inch long, the size of a medium green olive (hold the martinis, please), with a heart that's developed enough — and large enough — to be heard with a Doppler.
Sunrise, sunset: Would you believe your baby is having his or her first graduation already? Yes, it's true: At 9 weeks pregnant, your scholar-to-be has ended his or her embryonic stage and is entering the fetal period now (good-bye embryo, hello fetus). Your fetus is now about one inch long, the size of a medium green olive (but no martinis, please). 
The head has straightened out and is more fully developed, the ears are much more prominent, and some new organs (the liver, spleen, and gallbladder) are forming. Your fetus is also making spontaneous movements of his or her arms and legs now that minuscule muscles are beginning to develop, though you won't feel your tiny dancer for at least another two months.
While it's way too early to feel anything, it's not too early to hear something (possibly). Your baby's heart is developed enough — and grown large enough — so that its beats can be heard with a Doppler, a handheld ultrasound device that amplifies the lub-dub sound the heart makes. But don't worry if your practitioner can't pick up the sound of your baby's heartbeat yet. It just means your shy guy or gal is hiding in the corner of your uterus, or has his or her back facing out, making it hard for the Doppler to find its target. In a few weeks (or at your next visit) the miraculous sound of your baby's heartbeat is certain to be audible for your listening pleasure.
Size of baby: about an inch long, green olive sized.

Total Weight Gain/Loss: still at the 10lbs less than before I got pregnant.

Maternity Clothes: none... just rockin' my regular clothes.

Gender: Too early to tell :)

Movement: None yet, of course.

Sleep: No matter how much I get, its never enough. SO tired.  ALL THE TIME.

What I miss: feeling normal. :( Been a tough couple of weeks.

What I'm Looking forward to: hopefully feeling better at some point. The 2nd trimester. 

Cravings: Nothing at all sounds good.  Wish I were craving anything at this point.

Symptoms: Fatigue, all day sickness, ligament pain and headaches.

Best Moment of this last Week:  The ultrasound and seeing and hearing the heartbeat of the baby.

Honestly, this last week has been hard.  Really hard.  Took forever to get over being sick with a cold and then dealing with the increasing morning/all day sickness and utter exhaustion.  It's kind of hard to not feel completely down and defeated by the yucky parts at times, but I'm trying.  I tell myself that symptoms are good.  I would probably be worried if I felt completely normal.  I think this was all compounded by finding out that I am not as far along as I thought I was, so I feel pushed back in the race towards the finish line and further from hopefully feeling better in my second trimester. 


I am also having to go on medication for hypothyroidism.  While I know that its best to treat the things that are wrong and to do so swiftly... I hate that I have to take a medicine at all while I am pregnant.  All you have to do is watch TV for an hour and you will see some new class action suit about "did you take a certain medicine while pregnant and have a baby who was born with some awful, sad and scary condition?" It's just scary.  At one point, it was thought okay to take certain medicines that we know now aren't okay while pregnant and I worry about what will be discovered a year or a couple of years from now about what I took.  I'm going to trust my doctor and take the medicine and hope that I feel better.  Untreated thyroid issues in pregnancy can lead to mental retardation and more, so the risk is there either way. I just don't like it.

I've also been a bit concerned by the fact that I learned that I have some small cysts on my right ovary.  The technician at the ultrasound wasn't worried, but I just don't like that they are there.  I don't know if there are any on the left because she couldn't get a good shot of that ovary.  I keep telling myself that if it is a problem, the dr will call for me to come in.  If I don't get a call, I will still be asking about it at my next appointment at the end of this month.  The positive of it all though, is that we got to have our ultrasound and see that beautiful little heart beating away.  That makes it all worth it. 


4 comments:

  1. Don't worry everything will be fine. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've done the hypothyroid thing for 9 years now (and for the rest of my life). I, of course, have not been pregnant through it, but let me just tell you the medicine does wonders. Part of hypothyroidism is the exhausted, run-down feeling, or always being tired. After about a month of being on the meds, you will start to get your energy back and it makes me feel better as a whole. So stick with it, the benefits will come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you are feeling so awful. I was the same way with my 2nd pregnancy. (the 3rd was not so bad... *wink)

    That 13th week really makes a difference so hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. .....I know this is easy for me to say, because I am not walking in your shoes, but hang in there Rachel....you are beautiful and strong and you can get through this :) .....sending you much love, hugs and know you're in my daily thoughts and prayers. <3

    ReplyDelete