Wednesday, May 4, 2011

12 Weeks :)


Week 12 of Pregnancy: Fetal Organs and Systems
 
Most of your baby's systems are fully formed, and if you haven't already, it's likely that you'll finally hear your baby's heartbeat at this month's checkup! Your developing fetus now has a crown-to-rump length of about two and a half inches (the size of a large plum). 
This week marks a turning point for your baby. At 12 weeks pregnant, the herculean task of developing new bodily structures is nearing an end as most of your baby's systems are fully formed. Now comes the maintenance phase, during which your fetus' systems continue to mature for the next 28 weeks and the organs get to work.  
Your little fetus weighs as much as half an ounce now, and the crown-to-rump length is about two and a half inches (the size of a large plum — busily working his or her way through the whole produce department). It's hard to believe (especially from the outside, since you're probably barely showing at this point), but your baby has more than doubled in size during the past three weeks.  And that's just on the outside — there's plenty going on inside too. The fetal digestive system is beginning to flex its digestive muscle — literally — as it starts practicing contraction movements, a skill your baby will need after birth to push food through the digestive tract. The pituitary gland at the base of the brain has started producing hormones. And the bone marrow is making white blood cells, which will one day help your baby fight infection (including all those germs passed around the snot-nosed playgroup).   
If you haven't already had the pleasure, it's likely that at this month's checkup you'll finally hear your baby's fetal heartbeat — a sound that will make your heart race with joy!



Size of baby: depending on what site I look at, between 2-2.5" long... plum sized.

Total Weight Gain/Loss: -12.5 total (which my dr said is fine with my weight and to be expected with going on thyroid medication)

Maternity Clothes: none... just rockin' my regular clothes.

Gender: Too early to tell :)

Movement: None yet, of course.

Sleep: Sleeping much better. Hopefully its the thyroid meds helping. 

What I miss: not having to wake up an hour and a half before I need to be up to take my medicine so I can go straight back to sleep so it stays down.  And I miss when I didnt have to always be up 30 minutes earlier than I need to be to fix the sick feeling. Oy!

What I'm Looking forward to: The 2nd trimester. 

Cravings: right now I could kill for a loaded baked potato or loaded mashed potatoes.

Symptoms:  Fatigue, morning sickness, ligament pain, headaches.

Best Moment of this last Week: Kristin surprised us with a moses basket for the baby, continuing a very special and sweet tradition between us.  I also found and paid for a changing table, just need to pick it up! :)

This last week has unfortunately been filled with a lot of family issues and hardships.  There was an argument with my mother in law at our house which left us feeling attacked, depleted and left me with scratches and bruises.  And has left me feeling victimized, abused, saddened, angry and scared all of the time.  Victimized and abused due to the emotional and physical aspect of the issue, emotional because I know that my daughter was awake and heard it all and so confused and scared by it herself, depleted from the stress of it all and the worry that it might or could have already hurt the baby, angry that I allowed it to happen in my home and scared that I will never be truly free from the possibility of it happening again, because its been in our lives for twelve years now.  The one positive about things reaching a boiling point now is that no one can tell me it's in my head.  I'm not crazy.  I've never been crazy with regard to my concerns of her in our lives.


Right now, I am just looking for healing and strength.  It is not ok to be abused in any way shape or form in  life by anyone.  It is not ok to ask the person who is being abused to be quiet or apologize for what she needs to do to fix what she never broke in the first place.


I will always be real.  I will always be honest.  And I will not censor or run from that truth.  And no one has the right to ask me, or anyone else who has been in this kind of situation, to do so.  I will do my best to remain respectful, but I will not hide my truth.  No matter what.  


2 comments:

  1. ....Rachel I wish I had something profound and stirring to say, but I don't...what I can say is I am sorry that you all are going through this, know I am thinking of you...keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and sending you hugs, hugs, hugs and more hugs the way only kindreds can. <3 Give Drew and Roslyn and Baby To Be hugs from Paddy, Mack and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Rachel, I don't even know what to say about that. I'm glad you are okay and hope that it never happens again.

    Congrats on 12 weeks, only a few more and you should be feeling so much better!

    ReplyDelete