Tuesday, July 26, 2011

24 weeks :)



Your Baby in Week 24 of Pregnancy


Vivienne at 23 weeks, 5 days
  • During week 24 of pregnancy, your baby will begin the phase of rapid weight gain. Up to this point, the growth has been in structure and not bulk. Since all of the structures are in place, they will begin to fill out and strengthen. This week alone, your baby will gain 6 ounces of muscle and bone mass. That’s almost 25% of their total body weight! Can you imagine gaining 25% of your body’s total weight in just one week? Don’t worry, your baby won’t gain weight with such haste every week!
  • Your baby is acutely aware of light and dark by week 24 of pregnancy. Unbelievable as it may seem, the uterus does let light in and your baby will know it. They will blink reflexively when light suddenly enters the uterus (such as when you walk from indoors to outdoors or turn on a light in a dark room). They will also recognize darkness, but it doesn’t mean they will sleep when it’s dark! Your little boy or girl will still have periods of sleep during the day and periods of activity at night. Much like they will after birth! 
  • Your baby’s hands begin to get more detailed during week 24 of pregnancy. Little creases begin to show on the palms of their hands. 
  • In week 24 of pregnancy your baby will work on developing their sweat glands. The sweat glands are located on various parts of the body. Obviously, the glands will produce sweat when the body is active and needs to cool off. Your baby’s sweat glands will still be quite immature after birth. It’s best to keep them out of direct sunlight and out of really hot situations if you can, at least until they are a few months old.
  • Your baby’s lungs are experiencing rapid growth during week 24 of pregnancy. The branches of the respiratory “tree” develop and grow more complex this week. The trees are bronchial passageways and are very complex throughout the lung. The trees will help get air through and around inside the lungs and help you breathe. 

Size of Baby: About 10-12 inches long and 1-2 pounds

Total Weight Loss/Gain: -17 pounds

Maternity Clothes: maternity jeans and trying to find cute tops to wear so I actually look pregnant and not just large :-P

Gender: GIRL! Vivienne Claire Hall.

Movement: lots of it!  And she seems to love to kick especially while I eat, right behind my belly button... which just feels weird!

Sleep: Could be worse... but I wake up about every 20-30 minutes at night now, trying to re-position myself before I get bad muscle aches in my side.

What I miss: Laying on my stomach. Coffee.

What I'm looking forward to: Enjoying the rest of this pregnancy as much as possible... baby gear collecting... getting her room ready to go... my baby shower... holding her in my arms when all is said and done.

Cravings: basically anything with protein in it.  Baby is an Adkin's follower I think.

Symptoms: general soreness and tiredness and still battling some morning sickness.


On Monday we had another ultrasound and doctor appointment and everything is looking very healthy and super cute!  Luckily for us, Vivienne decided to be awake and cooperative for the ultrasound technician to look at her heart and get a beautiful little 3-D view of her sweet sweet face.  I almost starting crying when I saw her... technology is absolutely AMAZING even the 6 1/2 years since we had Roslyn.

We saw the nurse practitioner at our appointment this time.  I'll be going in for the gestational diabetes blood test in the next few weeks and to also check on my blood since I am RH- and may need to get another shot for that.  I'm not too worried about the diabetes test since this pregnancy has me not wanting anything to do with sugar at all and I have felt healthier while pregnant than I have in a long time.

Other than all that, we're still busily settling into our new home and enjoying the process of unpacking and settling in.  I'm feeling more and more bit by the crafting bug again so I am trying to quickly get all my stuff set up so I can do just that... create!  BUT, my desk reached a sad and unfortunate end while in its move to this house so I have to buy a new one before I can get to crafting again.  Soon!  Hopefully I'll be picking one up tomorrow night!

I hope everyone is having a fantastic week!



2 comments:

  1. She is so beautiful!! I got all teary when you talked about seeing her on the ultrasound. So happy for you friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is beautiful. so happy for you all. she will be such a light to you!!

    ReplyDelete