Thursday, August 8, 2013

on friendship...

Something that has been on my mind a lot lately is friendship.  Specifically, the friendships that I have with other women in life.

Friendship has not always been a smooth road for me in my life.  Like in love, I fall hard for people, I fall completely, I would do anything for people and I have been hurt by friendships as painfully as a hurt from a lover.

I've lashed out, blocked out and pushed away the people that I have needed the most in my life.  Because it's scary for me to need people and at the end of the day, it's always been hard for me to believe that I could be wanted by somebody else, not for what I can give, but for who I am.  I haven't always known what to do with the very thing I need and believe in the most, a friend who truly does love at all times.

This last year, I would not have survived if it were not for the friends that I have.  An amazing circle of women who uplift, inspire and drive me to be a better person.  They also have helped me hold it together when I thought I would surely fall apart, they have helped me believe in myself, they saw value in me when I could not see it in myself.

Most importantly, they have let me know that I am not alone in this world.  I have friends by my side who will catch me when I fall or let me fall safely into the comfort of their loving arms. Because sometimes we need to fall apart.  But we need a safe place to do so. And I have my safe places.  So many people who I can turn to.  From friendships of almost twenty years, to friends I have never actually met- to the ones I see almost daily to the ones who I may never even meet... I am surrounded with the strength, love, compassion, nurturing and inspiration that only women can provide for other women.  These women are my soul mates.  My sisters.  Life would not be complete without them and I am so very grateful for each and every one of them.

I am so, so grateful that I am not alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment