Monday, May 18, 2015

DIY Record Photo Holders

I'm always looking for new ways to use old things and one of my favorite things to use for projects are old records.  There are so many in thrift stores that are waiting for a home, but are not in good enough condition to play, or desired by customers.  One day it just came to me... I could use them to make photo holders for our house, perfect for us, a family that consists of a musician, music lovers and performers!

To Make Your DIY Record Photo Holders:
To get started, decide where you will be displaying your record photo holders and how many you need/want to fill the space.  For my space, I decided that 6 records would be perfect, three rows of two records across. Then gather your supplies.

You will need:
1) Records- I found mine at the Goodwill.  When picking mine out I looked for two things, that they were in unplayable condition so that using them for this project would put them to good use, and that they had album art that I liked and may want to use for future projects.

2) Crop-a-dile, or drill/hole punch of some kind- being a paper crafter, I used the crop-a-dile which is an amazing hole punching and eyelet setting tool that I use in my scrapbooking.  It can punch through almost anything with ease and is well worth the money to invest in if you are the DIY type! You can purchase one here:
We R Memory Keepers Crop-A-Dile Eyelet and Snap Punch, Blue Handle

3) Clips- I used the X-acto Bulldog Clips #4 that I got in a box of twelve from amazon:
X-ACTO Bulldog Clips #4, Box of 12 Clips (2004)

4) Craft/Office Supply metal brads- another item that I have in my papercrafting stash. Pick brads that go with your clips, mine are silver so I picked silver brads.

5) Photos- I printed photos at home using my printer in a 5"x5" size.  I chose photos that were related to music and performing.  These photos can easily be changed whenever you like since they simply clip in the clips.


To Assemble Your Photo Holders:

1) Punch a hole in your album.  I used my crop-a-dile to punch a small hole about an inch and a half from the edge.

2) Take your clip and place it over he hole that you punched, adding the brad to it, going through the hole and overlapping the clip to anchor it to the record.

3) Flatten the back of the brad tightly and securely.  You can add a piece of tape to the back of the brad to keep in steady and in place. I used command strips to hang my record photo holders on the wall, so I placed the command strips directly on top of the backs of the brads to steady them.

4) Place your photos into the bulldog clips, making sure they are centered and placed how you would like them.

5) Using command strips, hang your new photo holders on the wall.  I love the hip, retro look that they have, and I especially LOVE that they are so representative of our family, who we are, our likes and passion in life.
All in all, this project cost me less than $20.00 and took me less than 30 minutes to complete. It was great for a budget money and time wise which is a win-win in my busy world!

Have you repurposed old records in any crafty ways? Share a link with me in the comments, I would love to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment